Free Water Sports Weeks
Fulham Reach Boat Club runs holiday courses during the Easter and Summer holidays for students from LBHF in receipt of the Pupil Premium. The objective is to address the issues of summer learning loss, lack of appropriate summer activities, food insecurity and involvement with anti-social behaviour. Our water sessions will be focussed around having fun on the water in a safe environment. Over the period of one week’s activity we hope we will be able to alleviate at least some of the disadvantage suffered by students from low-income families during the summer holidays. Rowing is not a sport that many people have the opportunity to have a go at and we have found that by getting young people involved in a sport that they feel is not for them has a powerful effect in changing their whole mindset and self perception of what is possible in life.
Each course will last for one week from Monday to Friday, from 8am to 3pm each day and be open to 24 students. Breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack will be provided as well as safe and enjoyable sessions in rowing boats and kayaks. Kayaking is run through our partners at the London Sport Trust (LST), who use our premises for their kayaking courses. Last year we introduced boxing which was really well received and we will run this again this year on alternate days to the kayaking. To compliment our on-water activities, we will also run off-water talks and activities, some of which are linked to the river. These will include, over the 3 weeks:
- How to stay safe on the water delivered by the RNLI
- Nutrition advice for young people delivered by nutritionist and ex GB track and field athlete
- A different route - performance rowing to Prisons Manager and Rowing for Good by GB & World Champion Rower
- First Aid training with St John’s Ambulance
- Breathing & Meditation workshop - Coaching for Awareness, Stress, Performance & Recovery
- Crime awareness and prevention delivered by local charity Key4Life
The course is free to attend for the identified young people in receipt of the Pupil Premium from Years 8 to 13 in LBHF.
To find out more about our Free Water Sports Weeks, please email [email protected]